Life Energy Institute
"The infinite within is ever becoming."
Dr. Randolf Stone, founder of Polarity Therapy
UZIT Program Details
WHAT IS URBAN ZEN INTEGRATIVE THERAPY TRAINING?
This program is designed for individuals who are already established in one or more of the Urban Zen Integrative Therapies (yoga teacher, Reiki practitioner, doctor, nurse or other allied medical professional, essential oil therapist). Students have up to three months to complete course work and homework assignments from the time of the last onsite training and have up to 12 months to complete all the clinical requirements.
Each training day includes a led UZIT yoga class; weaving together active and restorative poses with breathwork, essential oils, Reiki and mediations giving students the opportunity to experience and embody the integration of the modalities. In addition, a series of lectures, discussions and UZIT practice sessions instructing in each of the UZIT modalities and their application to the PANIC-E (Pain, Anxiety, Nausea, Insomnia, Constipation and Exhaustion) symptoms
- Therapeutically-oriented yoga including in-chair and in-bed Mindful Movements, restorative yoga, breathing practices and guided meditation/body awareness mediations
- Level 1 Reiki training for self-practice and for use in clinical settings.
- Essential Oil Therapy training and practice with 12 therapeutic-grade essential oils including Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Frankincense and other special blends. Participants will learn benefits and contra-indications for each essential oil.
- Nutrition including nutritional information as a form of self-care for UZITs.
- Contemplative Care, training and practice in the ability to stay present, calm and effective in the midst of suffering.
The UZIT program equips nurses and other care-givers with the necessary tools to avoid the burnout that is rampant in their professions. UZITs learn techniques for grounding, relaxation and restoration in order to be present as they serve. As Roshi Joan Halifax says, “Healthcare without self-care is sick care.”
WHAT ARE MY CLINICAL TRAINING OPTIONS?
Clinical hours are at to be completed at one or more of the distinguished UCLA Health System sites:
Ronald Reagan Medical Center, Santa Monica Hospital and/or Motion Picture Television Fund.
UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center For more than half a century UCLA Health has provided the best in healthcare and the latest in medical technology to the people of Los Angeles and throughout the world. The nurses and doctors in the ares in which you’ll be working have experienced UZIT sessions themselves and are familiar with the UZIT modalities. They are eager to add them to the support services for their patients, family members and staff.
UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica serves as the cornerstone of UCLA Health’s Santa Monica medical campus. The 265-bed, full-service medical center provides the complete continuum of healthcare services, from prenatal and neonatal care to geriatric medicine, in a technologically advanced and welcoming facility. It combines the expertise of an academic medical center with the accessibility of a community hospital to offer patients the best of both medical worlds.
Motion Picture Television Fund is one of the five health care centers UCLA Health operates in the Los Angeles area exclusively for the entertainment industry community. Specialty care is provided through their network of more than 500 physicians.
WHAT ARE THE GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS?
In order to successfully complete the UZIT Training program and receive certification, you must fulfill all of the following:
To be completed before the start of clinical practicums:
- Attendance at all the in-person training sessions.
- 18 practice sessions with friends and family
- Finish weekly homework logs
- Complete course work and exams with passing grades
- Pass the clinical assessment
- Attendance on, or listening to recordings of, a minimum of 80% of weekly phone calls
- Complete basic CPR and First Aid training and submit certificate of completion
- Secure and submit proof of proper liability insurance
- All of the above to be completed and reviewed to the satisfaction of UZIT teaching staff
- Completion of any of the individual clinical location requirements, i.e., background check, drug and/or TB screening, influenza immunization and/or any other site-specific requirements.
To graduate – all of the above must be in good order and the following:
- A minimum of 50 hours of clinical practicums at approved clinical site(s).
- Completion of three audio recordings (two body awareness meditations and one breath awareness practice)
- Completion of post clinical experience essay.
- Completion of a 3-day silent retreat or other comparable pre approved silent retreat (cost of the retreat or another retreat is not included in the UZIT program fees)
- Training must be paid for in full
All graduates of the program will be certified Urban Zen Integrative Practitioners.
Previous UZIT students or graduates may re-take the training at a reduced rate.
To apply please use our online application submission form or download and complete the application, and email or mail.
Thank you for your interest in this program. If you have questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]